Friday, January 20, 2012

Sock Gnomes WIP 7

 I'm taking a ton of screen caps so I'm uploading these so I don't post a million pictures tomorrow.

So today was a very good day. The technique I had already figured out only got more refined and simple. 

My method is to scribble on the colors first. Make it easy and sloppy.

 Then blend blend blend. Not with a blending tool, but with the paint brush on a low opacity, picking up color constantly as you go.
 First I made a "color sketch" to get idea of where all the colors go. I normally wouldn't need to do this but my Sock Gnomes are such colorful little things, their highlights and shadows are all kinds of colors.
 These are the flats which I put down first as a base.
Here are the lines I did very first of all to make it easier to put in the basic shapes of the flats. Earlier I had kept trying to do this by hand (as in carefully erasing around the shapes) and it was pure torture. In the end I need to go back and soften up the edges but that's still much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment